Monday, March 12, 2001

Man Bites Dog

C'est arrivé près de chez vous (Man Bites Dog) is a mocumentary (fake-documentary) from Belgium, released in 1992. It is great. Some people just don't like it, and you wonna know why? It's because they probably don't have the mind to understand what it is about. From what I've seen, I think the film isn't about one particular subject. That's why some people feel cheated. That's how I thought the first time I saw it. But I guess the film is aimed at how all human beings are the same. If they're poor, rich, black, white, young, old, nice, mean, helper, or killer. But after all the times I've seen it, I still remain uncertain. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

The main character, Benoît Poelvoorde, is a serial killer. He kills for money, and for pleasure. Basically, all that is done in the film is the crew hangs around Poelvoorde. We watch him do stuff we can compare to, and then we see him do stuff that would make us sick.

What this film taught me was that there are two sides to every single person. Benoît Poelvoorde was a cold-hearted, s**t talking, serial killer; Yet, at times he seems like your best friend, like you know him so well. And that's what I think this film is about. No matter how bad a person is, they're still a human. You find so much in common and uncommon with each other. Or, once again, maybe I'm completely wrong. Why don't you see it for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment